For many, having a baby is a dream come true. And for some, having a baby may feel like a dream that will never be a reality. Infertility can be a physical and emotional struggle for both women and men, and it is important that couples who have been diagnosed with infertility work with a Houston OBGYN who will provide them with the care and treatment they need during this difficult time.These are four of the most common treatment options for infertility:
MedicationsThere are many prescription medications that can be used to help regulate a woman's cycle and increase the chances for conception. Common medications that are used to treat infertility include:
- Clomiphene — This medication that is used to stimulate the hormones that cause ovulation to occur.
- Follicle-Stimulating Hormone — This hormone injection boosts follicle production in the ovaries. This treatment increases the risk of multiples.
- Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Analog — This hormone injection improves the timing of ovulation to increase the chances of conception.
- Human Menopausal Gonadotropin — These hormone injections can help stimulate the hormones needed to conceive.
- Metformin — This medication is often used to help regulate hormone production in women who have been diagnosed with
Surgical procedures are generally considered if a woman cannot conceive as a result of endometriosis in the uterus or fibroids in the uterus. Surgery also can remove blockages from the fallopian tubes, which can prevent an egg from being released.
Intrauterine Insemination, or IUI, is a procedure in which the sperm is injected directly into the uterus at the time that a woman is ovulating. This can greatly increase the chances of conception, as the sperm is ready to permeate the egg as soon as it is released. This procedure is often chosen prior to in vitro fertilization, largely because it is less invasive and also less costly for the individual patient.
Assisted Reproductive Technology
Assisted reproductive technology can be used in the case that medications, surgery and artificial insemination do not work. One of the most common forms of assisted reproductive technology is in vitro fertilization. In this procedure, the man provides a sperm sample and healthy eggs are harvested from the woman. The reproductive specialists then fertilize the egg and implant the fertilized embryo into the woman's uterus at the right point in her cycle.
In order to determine the right infertility treatment option, you will need to work with an OBGYN who can help identify the root cause of your infertility. Couples who are struggling to get pregnant should set up a consultation appointment with one of the experienced physicians at Plaza OBGYN.