When you decide that the time is right to have a baby, you likely don't want to wait another minute to find out that you are expecting. In order to boost your chances of conception, you should consider taking steps to improve your reproductive health. These tips will help support your reproductive health and may even increase your chances of conceiving.
Reproductive Health - 7 Ways to Support
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. According to Parents Magazine, a well-balanced diet can help regulate your hormones and increase your chances of conceiving. Lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables as well as whole grains are ideal choices for both women and men who are hoping to conceive.
- Keep Your Partner Cool. While you have a large role to play as a woman, your male partner also needs to consider his own reproductive health. He needs to keep his testicles cool in order to increase the health and vitality of his sperm. Have him avoid hot tubs, and encourage him to use his laptop at a table or desk rather than directly on his lap.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol intake. The occasional glass of wine is not going to prevent you from conceiving (and it might even help you relax!), but excessive alcohol and caffeine consumption can make it more difficult to get pregnant. Try to stick with one or two cups of coffee per day, and just a couple drinks per week.
- Schedule a consultation appointment with your Houston OB/GYN. One of the best ways to begin the process of trying to conceive is to have an open and honest conversation with your OB/GYN about your reproductive health. This allows you to go over your medical history, discuss any concerns that you might have and receive any additional information that may be able to help you conceive quickly.
- Avoid hazardous chemicals and pesticides. Instead of fertilizing your garden with traditional pesticides, opt for an organic form of growing. If your job requires you to be exposed to hazardous chemicals, be sure to take extra precautions and avoid certain tasks that may be dangerous to your health or the baby's health.
- Track your cycle. For several months prior to trying to conceive, WebMD notes that you should track your cycles and begin to understand your fertile window. A woman's fertile window is typically the 3-5 days prior to ovulation, and that window is different for each individual woman. By tracking cycles, you will know how to best time intercourse for conception.
- Stay relaxed and calm. One of the best things you can do for your reproductive health is to stay happy and relaxed. Enjoy the journey of trying to conceive, and try not to get too stressed about controlling the process. Go for a run, have a glass of wine or take a yoga class — it will help keep your mind clear and can even make it easier for you to conceive.
While many of these tips will help you boost your reproductive health, they also serve the dual benefit of improving your general health and well-being. There are so many factors that impact conception, it's important to recognize that leading a healthy, balanced lifestyle is just one way that you can help boost your reproductive health. If you have been trying to conceive without luck, and you feel the time has come to consider fertility treatment options, then contact an OB/GYN at our Houston practice today to schedule a consultation and review your reproductive health.